Monday, August 18, 2008

Getcha' popcorn ready

I just got back from my first day of class here in Athens, which means one thing: two weeks until kickoff. The college football season begins next week, and expectations here in Athens couldn't be higher. Needless to say, any Georgia football game will be a big deal here this season.

But I'm a college football fan, not just a Georgia fan. I enjoy watching games from across the country, although I have a little bias towards the SEC.

With that being said, I've come up with the five games from around the NCAA that I am most looking forward to in 2008. I included only one Georgia game, but I'm pretty sure this one would be on anyone's list. I'll post one game a day for the rest of the week.

Let me know what you think. Which games are you most excited to see?

Sept. 13: No. 2 Ohio State vs. No. 3 USC Los Angeles, California
Why to watch: Two perennial title contenders lock up on the left coast for what could be an early elimination game for one of these teams. USC finished 2007 with authority, crushing Illinois in the Rose Bowl. Meanwhile, Ohio State fans were drowning themselves in Pat O'Brian's Hurricanes, as their beloved Buckeyes fell to LSU in New Orleans for the second consecutive BCS Title Game loss to an SEC team.

The Trojans will see how new quarterback Mark Sanchez handles an early test against a strong Buckeye defense. Tailbacks Joe McKnight and Stafon Johnson combined for close to 1,300 yards last season. It will be interesting to see if Arkansas transfer Mitch Mustain gets a crack at running Pete Carroll's offense early in the year.

In addition to that defense led by 2007 Butkus Award winner James Laurinaitis, the Ohio State offense should be formidable behind Heisman candidate Beanie Wells. The Buckeyes are in position to run the table in the Big 10 yet again, so this game figures to be the only thing standing between them and another crack at the crystal football. The loser of this game may be knocked out of the BCS Title picture before the leaves start to change.

What I want to see: Besides the fact that the actual game might be one of the best of the year, it's worth watching to see if Buckeye coach Jim Tressell's stylish red sweater vest will hold up to the balmy September temperatures in L.A.. That iconic piece of knitted wool glory, combined with a mass exodus of pale midwesterners to Los Angeles should make for great television.

Stay tuned for my next must-see game of the year, which should be up tomorrow.

No comments: