Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Because Adam Requested that I Post

Welcome to the Wednesday Night Doldrums, where Free Agency is about to blow up, but nothing is happening.  Anywhere.  I've had every intention of sharing with you all my wit and wisdom, but inspiration is lacking as of late.  Unfortunately, my lack of contribution was not able to sustain it until Friday, upon which I could claim that I predicted the Georgia Tech game last Friday due to foreknowledge of my blogging schedule, rather than a poorly researched glance at team schedules.

The ACC is still a matter of who can fail less, and I maintain my prediction that Miami will lose, which of course in OTR speak means that Miami will probably channel Willis McGahee.  After the strong declaration that "The only team than can beat Georgia Tech is Georgia Tech," Virginia and North Carolina have both done stellar jobs at imitating this bizarro Georgia Tech team.  Florida State also did a wonderful job of playing like Georgia Tech, but were only able to carry it to the extent of "fumble" and not "able to beat Georgia Tech."  Unfortunately for the Hurricanes, they are not like Georgia Tech.  Fortunately for them, this means that they have attractive females on campus.

For those of you who haven't read it yet, Lucid Idiocy has a great excerpt from Mark Richt's speech in Macon.  It gives more reason for any Dawg fan to adore A.J. Green more than they already (for good reason) do.

Also of somewhat amusing news, J.C. Bradbury at Baseball Prospectus hates Jeff Francoeur.  Though I'm pretty sure it's normal for any (straight) male fan that knows anything about baseball to appreciate the fact that Jeff Francoeur deserves to be back in Rome right now, the marketing wizards simply refuse to let this happen.  A tribute to Yunel Escobar for being able to manage 60 RBIs batting behind Frenchy, along with the unholy trio of Greg Norton, Corky Miller, and whichever AAA journeyman the Braves threw at the pitchers mound at the time.

For those of you who read comments on the previous post, there appears to be a little debate as to whether or not a) Frank Wren is competent, and b) if he should give up a ransom for Jake Peavy.  The answer to A) will be analyzed later, but rest assured the answer is yes.  The answer to B) is a more moderate yes, but not if the price is too steep.  No more than two people out of the "Escobar/Johnson/Gorkys/Schafer/Rohrborough" group should be traded, and both Tommy Hanson and Jason Heyward should not even be considered.  I'd love to send out Tyler Flowers, who has torn it up in the offseason leagues but has his position blocked at the big league level, and would begrudgingly part with Freddie Freeman if he was a centerpiece to the deal.  However, Jake Peavy stressed himself that he didn't really want to come to Atlanta if Yunel Escobar is going the other way, because he would be hard to replace.  He later rephrased the quote, saying that he was concerned about waiving his no-trade clause to go to a contender, but the point stands.  If you're going to trade away one of your most consistent offensive and defensive players, Frank Wren better be willing to find a suitable replacement.  Hint:  There isn't one in the organization.

Finally, for those of you who crave football so much that you watched Ball St. vs. Central Michigan earlier, you were apparently treated to a very good game. Which leads me to remind all of the pessimists:  Georgia put up 50 points on that team, whereas the current #14 team (lol mid-major) who is likely to pass Georgia had to come from behind to beat them.  Georgia is not a world-beater by any means, but they're still a damn good team, and I pray for the opportunity to redeem the season by running all over Ohio State.

I'll be back on Friday with some predictions.  Enjoy your bye week everybody!

5 comments:

Pesci said...

Haven't read the article yet, but we all know I will. That said, you know this post will be completely off target.

Call me crazy, but I love that Phil Savage sent a fan that has been heckling him and his staff all year an email that said "Go root for Buffalo - F@&* You." I wish more professionals on the browns would play with that kind of an attitude, maybe we'd have won 2 or 3 more games if they had.

By the way, a post title of "Because Adam Requested that I post" let's all of us readers here know who wears the pants in this blog relationship.

Someone told me I was a doctor said...

I think that if Adam wore my pants, he (and they) would explode.

Jordan Backs said...

Bill I totally agree for once, I don't think those skinny jeans can fit on many bodies personally

Unknown said...

I'd pay money to see Adam try to fit into Bill's pants. Next blog post with a video perhaps?

Adam Rosenberg said...

it's already on the web but you need a credit card.