Monday, November 17, 2008

Could you turn that down?


I don't really want to talk about the Georgia-Auburn game. It's the same story that's been written several times this year. Georgia played down to an inferior opponent. They shot themselves in the foot several times. They won, uninspiringly.

I will say this: Auburn's gameday environment in the Jordan-Hare Stadium. If you hate the mic man at Georgia games as much as I do, go to an Auburn game. The tool they parade out there on the field leading cheers is much more obnoxious than our idiot. Combine that with the fact that they absolutely blast such played-out stadium songs as "Crazy Train" and "Welcome to the Jungle," and Auburn is a truly disappointing venue to watch a game. That said, their fans were quite loud, especially given the early start time.

Truthfully, if you want to read more about the suckfest you can check out the story I wrote for the Athens Banner-Herald here.

Now, it's just time to gear up for Tech. This is by far my favorite game of the year. I know that goes against the conventional thinking of the Bulldog Nation that SEC games trump all. For long-term, championship goals this is true. But nothing gets my blood boiling like the Tech game. If the Dawgs lose to the Nerds, things are terrible for a whole year. Of course, many of us can hardly remember the last time that happened. Don't worry. Next week, we'll have plenty of Tech week goodies for you on the blog.

Something else that was brought to my attention this weekend: Florida is good. Really good. Like, almost to the point where I don't feel so bad about the Dawgs' meltdown in Jacksonville. The Gators won't lose again this year. Mark it down. Alabama is a good football team. I don't give them a chance. Unless something happens to Tebow between now and then. If they play Texas Tech in the title game, there will be fatalities.

Good news Georgia fans! We may finally get that shot at Ohio State! One year too late I'm afraid. Mark Schlabach, former UGA journalism student and current ESPN.com college football writer has the Dawgs destined for the CapitalOne Bowl against the Suckeyes.

Interesting predicament for the Bulldog Nation. If Georgia loses to Tressel's crew, all that crowing we did about how weak the Big 10 is will look quite silly. Georgia would be (more of a) laughing stock. It would be quite a compelling matchup.

On the other hand, ESPN's Bruce Feldman has the Dawgs going to Dallas for the Cotton Bowl and a date with Oklahoma. That would be a very interesting matchup. My money's on New Year's Day in Orlando though.

A couple of other weekend notes...

The Hawks turned their moral victory against the Celtics into a couple of actual defeats against the Nets. Now a mortal 7-3, it's up to the Hawks to avoid a damaging string of losses. As if Atlanta sports had just accumulated too much goodwill in the past month, the Falcons dropped a heartbreaker thanks to what was seemingly Roddy White's only drop of the year. What a throw by Matty Ice though. I mean, that was big-time. I really enjoy watching the guy play. That huge contract is looking more and more worth it.

Finally, it appears as if the Braves are out of the running for Padres pitcher Jake Peavy. Awesome! Now we have plenty of room to pursue over valued senior citizens like Derek Lowe. Or how about one-hit wonders like Ryan Ludwick? For all the confidence that John Scheurholz instilled in me as a Braves fan, Frank Wren does the exact opposite. I feel like every decision he makes turns to manure.

That was pretty much a hodgepodge of thoughts for a Monday afternoon. It was basically whatever came to my head. Let us know what you think about anything I just rambled.

Also, if you have any ideas for something you would like to see Bill or I talk about let us know! We'd love to hear from you! Have a great week and start making room for turkey!

8 comments:

Jessica Slater said...

I'd like to see more coverage on sychronized swimming and men's rhythmic gymnastics.

Someone told me I was a doctor said...

I feel that there is a need for more stories about Ric Flair, personally.

Jordan Backs said...

finally someone in this world agrees that we are idiots for ending the peavy sweepstakes, contrary to Bill's man crush on Yunel mark my words Yunel is as good as he gets, if you want an average speed, great defensive shortstop that will bat 290 at best (much attributed to nobody knowing this kid and who else was in the lineup aka chipper and tex) and hit 10 homers and drive in 50 runs then fine keep him, but if you want a stud pitcher with plenty of years in him go after the man. You can replace Yunel's defense, his offense isn't anything to cry over for pete's sake I don't understand this whole love affair. We are talking about a flat out stud and our biggest problem (a pitcher who will be dependable) and giving up Yunel would be no problem. And insider information from you and Lav tells me he is not the clubhouse guy either. Let's let Prado (definitely capable) or someone else fill in and trade his overrated ass. This is horrible. Now we will end up with Mike Hampton being re-signed leading the staff and another horrible season. I'm sure to hear a rebuttle but nontheless this is how I feel and I don't feel like any Brave out there is on the same page.

Dustin Norton said...

more georgia basketball stories...

Someone told me I was a doctor said...

1) I was the first person to clamor for Peavy, whereas you claimed that it was unrealistic.
2) I never said that Escobar was unreplacable. I DID say that I package of Escobar, Hanson, and Schafer was ludicrous. It is. I'm okay with Escobar being traded, though I don't particularly like it, because I appreciated what we'd be getting in return. However, that trade would scream "Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore, and Cliff Lee for Bartolo Colon."
3).290 with 10 HRs and 50 RBIs is stellar from a guy who bats first or second in the order. And I'm quite frankly astounded at his learning curve if he has his career year at 25 years old in his second year in the majors, seeing as he already exceeded that RBI total with such major league studs as "Corky Miller" and "Greg Norton" batting ahead of him.
4) The only position that Martin Prado can competently play is second base, and that's debatable. I like the kid for his offense, but his defense, while uncharacteristically atrocious this year, should never be tested from the shortstop position. I would have no problem with him replacing Kelly Johnson (who was the superior offensive player this year), but replacing Escobar's defense, which is regarded as one of the best in the league, with his baserunning ability, which was ranked as 9th in the National League by experts who know much more than I do, in addition to giving up two of your best five prospects is absurd considering what the Mets gave up for Santana last year. If you had said Lillibridge could replace him, I would begrudgingly agree, but to try and pigeonhole Prado there says that you grossly underrate infield defense, especially from the shortstop position, especially with a new pitcher coming in who is going to need good defense after moving from an extreme pitchers park to a moderately neutral one.

I know you take it as a personal offense every time I take a jab at you, but don't put words in my mouth.

Dustin - I'm probably going to let Adam handle any kind of day to day stuff for Georgia, as he follows them a lot more vigorously than I do, but I do have an opinion on the Dennis Felton Experience that I'll try to get up sometime in the next week.

aaron said...

the "Dennis Felton Experience"...

nice bill. :)

i think you get on that ride right after a ferocious pack of pit bulls chases you out of the "michael vick experience" at six flags right?

i think the Felton ride would include a highlight reel of our tourny wins under him. strangely enough the ride is just a porta potty with 2 doors and a blank monitor attached to a wall.

Adam Rosenberg said...

don't worry. I'll have plenty to say about the Dennis Felton experience once we get out of the no-brainer, easy victory, cupcake portion of our schedule.

...what's that? we lost to Loyola-Chicago by about 20 points already?

ruh roh.

Pesci said...

can we start getting pictures of hot chicks on the blog (they dont have to be famous just hot). also, i'd like to see more stories about other SEC schools.