Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gobble Gobble

Besides the Fourth of July, is there a bigger slice of Americana than Thanksgiving? What better way to show how thankful we are than to stuff ourselves full of food (and in my case Gentleman Jack) and lay around on our couches all day?

With that in mind, let me engage in the tried and true (and hopefully not played out) tradition of listing what I am thankful for. Of course, I hope to hear what you guys are thankful for as well.

-I am thankful for Bobby Cox. I hope he continues to smoke cigars and drink scotch until the sad day when he passes away while managing a game. He is irreplacable.
-I am thankful for Larry Munson and the pessimistic brand of homerism he brought to radio broadcasting. I'd like to think that Larry calls games the way I would, only much better. I'm that guy that always thinks the other team "is driving on us" and that "they are much bigger and faster." We miss you Larry.

-I am thankful for Chipper Jones and Brian McCann for being the only good offensive players the Braves had over the course of the summer. I am also thankful that it is November and I don't have to watch Jeff Francoeur swing a bat for four months.

-I am thankful for Mark Richt patrolling the Sanford Stadium sidelines. Despite my constant pessimism about my beloved Bulldogs, I wouldn't trade Richt for any coach in the country. Seeing guys like Saban and Meyer winning titles while making my stomach churn with their sleaziness makes me glad we have a guy like Richt.

-I am thankful for Paul Johnson coming to Tech and making Clean Old Fashioned Hate more exciting than leftover turkey sandwiches for once. Granted, I'm still not worried about the Dawgs losing, but Johnson has the mustard nation pumped up and out of excuses. When Richt makes it eight in a row, Georgia's JV team won't have Chan Gailey to blame anymore.

-I am thankful for Friday nights under the lights. Believe me, on almost any of the Friday's I spent in northeast Georgia press boxes there were about 203 places I would rather have been. But with my time covering high school football for the Athens Banner-Herald now behind me, I must say I have a special place in my heart for Friday night football. A special thanks to all the people who made the experience fun, although I'm sure none are reading.

-I'm thankful for Sundiata Gaines, Dave Bliss, Corey Butler and the rest of the 2007-2008 Georgia Bulldog basketball team. As absolutely horrible and nauseating they were to watch for most of the year, they were that much more awe-inspiring in March. The Hoop Dawgs overcame tornadoes, venue changes, and a lack of talent to run through the SEC Tournament and win themselves a ring. Then, they almost upset Xavier in the big dance. To make things even better, Felton and friends cut down the nets in Tech's arena. As usual, the Nerds were nowhere to be found. That run through March is what college hoops is all about.

-I'm thankful for Matt Ryan. Enough said.

-I'm thankful that I have gotten to watch a player like Knowshon Moreno put on clinics Between the Hedges, even if Saturday's extermination of the Bees is his last hurrah. Special K has never had anything resembling a coherent offensive line to run behind, yet still dominates.

-I'm thankful that the Atlanta Hawks gave the Bahston Celtics all they wanted and then some in the NBA Playoffs. It was a rare thing to sit in Phillips Arena with a packed, pro-Atlanta crowd there with me. Plus, you can't overstate the comedic value of Zaza Pachulia and Kevin Garnett going at it.

-I am thankful for that U.S. Olympic Swimming relay team that came back to beat the French after they talked all that garbage. There I was, in my living room with a few friends, screaming at the TV like I was watching the Dawgs play. But no, it was swimming.

-I am thankful that I got to cover the Atlanta Braves this year. Watching batting practice from the dugout bench with Bobby Cox isn't a bad way to get ready for a baseball game. Plus, the Braves' season didn't collapse until after I stopped covering them.

-I am thankful for Bucky F-ing Dent and his baseball school in Florida. While it was about as hot as the surface of the sun, spending my summer coaching baseball was a blast. It was also a very effective form of birth control.

-I am thankful the Dawgs had Marcus Howard. Apparently, he was the difference between our defense being dominant and it being invisible. What happened to being "D-End U?"

-I am thankful that Georgia Tech hasn't beat the Dawgs in seven years (about to be eight). I'm also thankful for the fact that this is always the refs' faults, or Chan's, or Reggie's.

-I am also thankful that those same Tech fans choose to forget about Joe Hamilton's "non fumble," Jasper Sanks' fumble, or the fact that all three of Tech's wins in the late 1998, 1999, and 2000 were accomplished using ineligible players (including Smoking Joe Hamilton).

-I am thankful that recently, Georgia has dominated Tech in "Tech sports" such as baseball and basketball.

-I am thankful that overall, Tech provides endless fodder for me to use against them.
-Finally, I'm thankful for my family and my friends. Thanks for all you do. I am thankful for you, the readers of OTR. It's been a fun few months and I hope you've enjoyed it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: