Monday, September 22, 2008

Nobody's Perfect: Except Me!


To start this thing off, why don't I go ahead and go over all the games I predicted incorrectly this weekend?


....................................


Ok, that was quick. Yep, that's right. I was a perfect 10-f0r-10. I think it's safe to say that the prognostication title belt will rest securely with Off the Record this week. Kudos to all who made it possible, including the Dawgs, LSU, GT, Wake, Florida, and all the NFL teams that did their job and make me look smart.

So what did we learn this weekend? Obviously, as I posted Sunday, AJ Green is good. Georgia did what they had to do, etc. More on Georgia later.

We learned that David Cutcliffe was probably more valuable to Tennessee than any player they lost last year. The Tennessee offense is ACC nauseating. They really could start 2-4 this year, although I'm going to bet 3-3 (I think they upset Auburn). Florida didn't really have to play very well to beat them (and they didn't). From here on out, it looks very likely that the Gators are undefeated when they go to Jacksonville.

I really can't say too much about LSU-Auburn, seeing how I was too busy watching Georgia to really pay attention. LSU winning that one on the road is pretty impressive though. It should come down to them and Bama for the SEC west. Apparently there was some sort of onside kick by LSU, further cementing Les Miles' legacy as the most insane coach in the nation.

The Jacket juggernaut reached maximum firepower on Saturday, pounding poor Sylvester Croom's Missy State team into a fine powder (don't get any ideas Joe Hamilton). The offense did look impressive, but Missy State is hardly a powerhouse. Trade Schooler's are calling this a victory over the SEC for their much-maligned conference. Well, Missy State is the second-worst team in the conference behind Arkansas. Tech is looking like one of the top three or four teams in the ACC. Frankly, the Jackets should have won.

The Falcons managed to win again, again at home, and again against a team that belongs in the NFL's bowl subdivision. Michael Turner is very fun to watch, but I wouldn't put too much stock in this win. The Chiefs are awful and their quarterback played at Coastal Carolina. Hardly the 2007 New England Patriots.

Speaking of Patriots, how bout them Dolphins? Nothing in the NFL makes me happier than seeing Bill Belichick getting his ass kicked...by the Dolphins.

As I may have mentioned last week, we had a little fiesta for the day of football madness. I had a solid day at the beer-pong table, before retiring to the couch. Whatever punch creation we made was deadly. And I must say, I'm not surprised that former Georgia center Ian Smith was dismissed for alcohol-related offenses. The big lug stopped by without shoes and wearing a wife-beater. Complete sentences were challenging. He was tanked. But, he did order me some Pokey Sticks so I can't say anything too bad.

I had to go to Oconee County High School today for a story for the Banner-Herald and got to watch Zach Mettenberger toss it around. He has a bazooka where his arm is supposed to be. The poor scrub he was playing catch with didn't catch a single ball. That would have prepared Mett for a season of throwing to Tripp Chandler, but he's arriving one year too late.

Billy Humphrey just transfered to the University of New Orleans. Yeah, he probably needs to go to one of the few American cities that's consistently drunker than Athens.

That about wraps this one up. Check back Wednesday, when I'll have a full post about Georgia-Alabama, including thoughts on the blackout, Gameday and 350-pound nose tackles.

Goodnight Canada.

1 comment:

crustydirty said...

Hey Adam, your very proud and very pregnant sister told me about your blog, so here I am perusing. It's refreshing to hear(read?) some true Bulldog pride down here in the land of permanent summer and Gator infested swamps. Thanks for the congrats to my Dolphins, even if it was only to thank them for making the Pats look really dumb...really, really dumb. You suck for not calling me when you were in Florida, but I'm sure you had better things to do (though I can't imagine what!) Take care, keep up the good work, Go Dawgs!!!
-Christi