Friday, October 31, 2008

Greetings from Jacksonville

After a rigorous six hour drive, enhanced by a riveting conversation on the career triumphs of Morten Anderson and a pit stop across from "Holla for a Dolla," which may have been the classiest establishment in the state of Florida, I arrived in what is a surprisingly affluent area of Florida.   And then I found my hotel.  Fortunately, for all of the fear emitting from my female roommates, our high-class establishment has two benefits:  1) We're not the crackhouse across the street, and 2) We have wireless internet, so Adam and I can share our predictions and make good on our proclamation that we will have a new blog post every day this week.

Obviously the most pressing game for this weekend (at least for those of you who follow this blog) is going to Georgia/Florida.  And if you woke up early enough this morning to read my late night post, you know my prediction is for the Dawgs to win 34-29.  I don't anticipate the Gators to attempt a single field goal in this game (and for their two point conversion to come early to try to make a statement), and I anticipate this to be the difference in the game.  There's not a significant difference in talent on either side of the ball, but Mark Richt is head and shoulders a better coach than Urban Meyer, and for all the talk of revenge and motivation that the talking heads have hyped up for Florida, Georgia will be just as motivated to win this game as they were last year.

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, the special undereducated stepchildren of the Cocktail Party teams will duke it out to determine who will win the least-deserved BCS spot.  A revitalized Florida State team will take on the Georgia Tech Fumblers in what could very possibly be a preview of the ACC Championship game.  I read a very well thought out post on rivals.com this week detailing why the ACC Coastal Division was the strongest conference in football, because every single team is in the top 40 in Sagarin ratings and they all have winning records.  You can't trump those statistics with things like trivial things like "strength of schedule" or "talent."  Fortunately, you can start a strong debate with the phrase "They were so bad, Reggie Ball managed to start for all four years without anyone contending for the starting spot."  I figure I'll give the edge to the state of Florida for this one, with the Seminoles coming out on top 21-13, with Jonathan Dwyer accumulating 88% of his team's total yardage.  The other 12% comes from Florida State penalties.

In "Games that the rest of the country probably cares about more," College Gameday visits Lubbock for the first time to watch the top-ranked Texas Longhorns duke it out against the Texas Tech Red Raiders.  I'll be the first person to say that I thought that Texas Tech was significantly overrated, but after watching them dismantle a solid Kansas team last weak, I've changed my stance a little bit.  Instead of thinking they're lucky, I merely think that they won't be exposed until they play a team that actually has a defense.  I'm not quite sure if Texas has a legitimate defense or not, and I hope we'll find out this week.  I'm going to go against the grain and pick Texas Tech to win this game, 64-53.

I apologize for the lack of wit and lackluster effort in this, but my mind is currently elsewhere - Namely, I'm worried as hell about tomorrow.   I'll again give you the rundown for the rest of the weekend in wall of text form.  The Falcons will impress against the porous Oakland Defense, and DeAngelo Hall will be targeted a number of times.  The Hawks will again win tomorrow against Philadelphia to start off a season 2-0 for the first time in 98 years.  My next blog post will contain the word "receiver" spelled incorrectly at least twice.  The Sproletariat will emerge from their 2 week losing streak by pulling out victorious over "Holla at a Playa" and the improperly named "Winless Wonders" will continue being the "One-Win Wonder" against whoever he is playing.  Hopefully, Adam will have a concentrated effort when he arrives in an hour or so.  Regardless, I'll be back late on Sunday for what is hopefully Victory News.

Also, we've had a sudden influx of comments from people who I don't actually know in real life.  This is tremendously exciting, and I continue to call Adam every time I see one of you respond.  Keep it up, as I'd love to have a continuous stream of discussion going on here.  And if I'm wrong/uneducated/boring, call me out on it.  I'll be churning stuff out regardless, but if there's something you want to see written about more/less, I'll do my best to oblige.

No comments: