Monday, October 27, 2008

Tiger Bait? Nah. Dawg Food.

Anyone who says that sleep is a necessary ingredient to a healthy lifestyle has never been to Louisiana. Your trusty OTR blogmaster was running on about three hours of sleep when he arrived in Baton Rouge to cover the game for the Athens Banner-Herald. Despite the sleep deprivation, I was able to take in the spectacle that is Tiger Stadium and it didn't disappoint.

But first, a timeline of the weekend's events, just so you can see where I'm coming from.

7:30 p.m.--I'm in Jefferson, covering Jefferson High School's massacre of Rabun County. Very few Rabun County players leave with their limbs in tact.

12:45 a.m.--After my coworkers get finished putting together Saturday's paper, we hit the road, stopping in Duluth to meet former Georgia beat writer Josh Kendall to pick something up from him.

5:00 a.m.--We arrive in Montogmery, AL where we thought we were going to sleep. Unfortunately, the hotel could not check us in for some reason. We decided to keep driving.

7:15 a.m.--Mercifully, we arrive in Mobile and actually stop and sleep. I barely get to know my bed. We wake up at 9:30. I do not feel refreshed.

1:45 p.m.--We arrive in Baton Rouge. We make our way through many LSU tailgates, all of which smell very good. We can't enjoy any of them. Finally, we find the Tiger Stadium press box and get ready for the game.

That's just a taste of the madness. By the time the game started, I felt mildly insane, due to my lack of sleep. Darryl Gamble only added to that sense of insanity when he stepped in front of Jarrett Lee's first pass and took it 40 yards to the house. Much has been made of Dannell Ellerbe's absence in recent weeks, but Gamble has been lights out. His 13 tackle, two interception for touchdown performance will not likely be duplicated. But he would definitely be considered an adequate replacement.

Guys, this game was the reverse of the Alabama game. While Georgia got dominated much worse than the score indicated against Alabma, the Dawgs dominated LSU much more thoroughly than the scoreboard showed. Knowshon Moreno torched the Tigers for two long runs, including a 68-yard touchdown run in which he mocked the LSU student section. I wrote a story about Moreno's day for the Banner-Herald. You can read it here. (Side note: for some reason, Moreno kept referring to Matthew Stafford as "John" during post-game interviews. Knowshon is a strange animal.)

Speaking of John, the Big Texan had himself another great ballgame. The stat sheet wasn't overwhelming, but he made some great throws in a deafening environment. Stafford's ability to convert on third down was especially impressive. Obviously, AJ Green was huge again, but guys like Mikey Moore, Demiko Goodman and even Aron White stepped up with big games. All of the skill players simply dominated the Bayou Bengals.

The defense was...sufficient. The Dawgs had three picks, which was a nice change of pace. However, Charles Scott ran for 144 yards and bounced off potential tacklers several times. That's going to have to get shored up if the Dawgs have a chance in Jacksonville.

The real story of the game was the offensive line. I have a nice big plate of crow to eat, as I expected the o-line to emerge from Baton Rouge as corpses, not heroes. Stafford was sacked just once, and Moreno's afformentioned big game was aided by some big holes to run through. While LSU's defense was obviously overrated (good defenses don't give up 50 points twice in one season), the Georgia o-line still played one hell of a game. As Bill pointed out, Vandy's d-line has been quite good and the Georgia offensive line was equal to that challenge as well. Like I said, I have been one of the o-line's biggest critics all year. I sit corrected.

All in all, the Tiger Stadium experience was impressive. From the first four notes of "Hold That Tiger" during pregame, the crowd was loud and involved. Their student section participated until late in the game when the Dawgs had put it away. Before the game, the LSU faithful was downright frightening. Grown main were literally shaking because they were so fired up. And by the fourth quarter, they had retreated to the swamps on Bobby Boucher's airboat. I have respect for LSU's program, but it's always fun sending those drunk idiots back to the bayou.

I have plenty of other quotes from players after the game. However, I'm realistic and I know that no one will probably read this. If someone does, and you guys want some other quotes, let me know.

Other than that, stay tuned all week. In honor of Florida week, we are going to have a new post every day. Try to make it through whatever you have going on this week, because it's almost time for a cocktail party.

5 comments:

Ryan Lavner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan Lavner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrian said...

Gimme some of them quotes Adam! I'm an avid reader having been sent here via the AJC. Love your stuff, you've got a good future ahead of you in sports journalism. See if you can figure out what was up with calling Stafford John.

Adam Rosenberg said...

I'll get you those quotes as soon as possible Adrian. I know Stafford's actual first name is John. I just don't know why Knowshon likes to call him that.

Pesci said...

I want quotes too please. Also, Knowshon can call stafford that big white guy who looks like a special ed kid for all I care as long as he runs like he did the last few games against Florida.

Completely Unrelated Note:
What kind of performance enhancing drugs is Kerry Collins on, I never thought I'd see the day where he'd out play any Manning (Cooper included), let alone Payton. Can I get some feedback on that fact?